Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sara Beth


I love country music! One of my favorite bands is Rascall Flatts so this week I will do my blog on one of there songs. A song that has influenced me the most is Skins (Sara Beth) by Rascall Flatts. I listened to the song multiple times but for a long time I never actually payed attention to the lyrics and recognized the true meaning of the song. There is a whole story being told in the song that I never noticed and when I finally  took note of it, it literally brought me to tears. 
The song starts with a girl named Sara Beth who is nervous at the doctor because she has been very sick and she does not seem to be getting better. She finds out that she has cancer and the doctors are assuring her that things will be fine. They tell her that although the cancer is strong they thing that they caught it and she has nothing to worry about. 
The chorus describes her dream of her dancing with not a care in the world in the arms of her true love as the wind blows through her hair. 
The second verse describes how she cries to her mother because she does not know who is going to want to take her to the prom. She has been going through cancer treatments and does not have any hair. She is embarrassed and cries in her pillow and falls asleep as she has the same dream about dancing with her true love. 
The day of her prom arrives and her date is at the door. She comes to the top of the stairs to see him and everyone is surprised to see that when he takes of his hat, his head is completely shaved. He shaved his head to make her feel more comfortable at prom and to show her that he does not care about the fact that she has no hair. By the end of the song her dream has come true and she is dancing with her true love with not a fear or care in the world. 
The concept of this song is so beautiful and touching to me, usually cancer stories are sad stories and to hear something that happy come from such a sad situation is great.

2 comments:

  1. I am such a sucker for rom-com super-sweet love stories, even in songs. I love how this song has such a positive tone, making the best out of a situation. It could have gone in another direction, but the positive tone I think reflects Rascal Flatts as a band. Although I don't really like the song (not a huge country fan), I like the story it tells.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a breathe of fresh air to hear songs that tell us real life stories; most modern songs are so typical. They are usually about sex, love, and other random stuff. Its nice to hear something that brings out something positive out of something negative.

    ReplyDelete