Thursday, March 29, 2012

Countdown - Beyonce





I am sure most of you are all have heard the song Countdown by Beyonce. It is part of her new album IV (4). In the song she pretty much describes her and Jay Z’s entire relationship and how strong their bond is.  She does this in the form of a countdown. First she starts with 10 and describes how her “baby” (Jay Z) is a ten. Then she uses by saying he dressed to the 9, meaning he has a good sense of style. Next she uses 8 by saying that he picks her up at they “ate”. He makes her feel so lucky 7, like the lucky number 7. He kisses her in his 6. They’re making love in 5, as in 5 seconds.  He is still the one she does it 4 (for).  She is trying to make a 3 from that 2, meaning that she is trying to start a family with him, and ironically enough she got pregnant around the time that this song came out. Finally she uses the number one to say that he is still the one. I think that was a cute way to describe their relationship, it almost describes the 10 reasons why she loves him so much. In the verses of the song she pretty much just describes how they do fight, and although things aren’t always great she will always be in love with him and keep falling in love with him. She explains how they both don’t get tired of each other and still love everything about each other and she will do anything for him. It is also ironic how the song is a countdown starting from 10 and they have been together for 10 years. It seemed like perfect timing to make such a song. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, this post has made me so happy!!!. This is one of her best songs. Its catch, creative and intelligent. I love the lyrics, but I love the beat and rhythms more. I almost exploded the first time I heard it. The video is also amazing. I love the colours as well as the 60's vibe to it. I dont think the '4' album is her best work yet, but Countdown is amazig

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam! I thought I'd visit some other blogs this week aside from my group. I just wanted to say that I love the costumes in the video and I can dig that the song is upbeat and, as Lois pointed out, the lyrics are pretty creative in the sense that the numbers mean something to her.

    I can't help but wonder, though, did she write it herself? Or did someone (i.e., a producer) write this for her?

    I've never listened to her much aside from when I was eight years old and was given a Destiny's Child CD for Christmas, so I'll have to check out some of her other stuff before I make a fair judgement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently beyonce writes SOME of her songs or collaborates with others. Its weird because I was discussing this with my friend on Wednesday. The lyrics are blatantly personal. I know Beyonce was heavily involved in writing many Destiny's Child Songs. I hope she wrote it herself.

      Delete
  3. I love this song! I listen to it a lot, but I never bothered to look into what the title meant, or what they lyrics really say, much less what they mean. Thanks for spelling it out for those of us too lazy to look it up... :) Your analysis is spot on, I think!

    ReplyDelete